DPAC also rated #2 top-selling theater in the world
The Durham Performing Arts Center (DPAC), developed by Garfield Traub in partnership with Chapel Hill architect Szostak Design in Durham, North Carolina, has proven itself yet again against the best of the best and is now rated #1 by trade publication Pollstar as the top-selling theater in the U.S. for the first half of 2012.
If that were not impressive enough, DPAC scored the #2 position in the top 100 selling theaters in the world, second only to Mexico City’s Auditorio Nacional. And since the rationale for the development of the DPAC was doubted by many prior to its opening in 2008, this is a very special achievement for all those involved in the DPAC from development to delivery.
“It all starts with great shows, and for us to have two big multi-week blockbusters in the same season really tipped the attendance scales”, said Bob Klaus, DPAC’s General Manager in the Durham News Service. “It’s a credit to Nederlander and PFM and the great shows they bring us, this will truly be a season to remember.”
Today the attendance statistics have been released for DPAC’s 2011-2012 season, which includes 200 performances bringing in a total of 417,180 guests and 67 total sellouts. The highest attended shows were Radio City Christmas Spectacular with 38 performances and Wicked with 32 performances.
“We at Garfield Traub are extremely proud of what the DPAC has accomplished,” said Garfield Traub Principal Greg Garfield. “It is an honor to be able to say we participated in the development of the project, and we could not be happier for all those involved.”
Since the opening of the DPAC in 2008, the theater has consistently ranked on the top of Pollstar’s top-selling theater rankings, but has also won other awards such as:
- Numerous local Reader’s Choice Awards
- The Independent Weekly’s “Best of” winner for Best Theater Venue – 4th Consecutive Year
- The Herald Sun’s Reader’s Choice Award for Best Live Entertainment – 4th Consecutive Year
- Raleigh’s Metro Magazine’s Standing Ovation for Best Theater – 3rd Consecutive Year
- Durham Magazine – Best Place for Live Music and Best Place for Live Theater – 2nd Consecutive Year
- And #3 in gross ticket sales among venues with a capacity of 5,000 or under in the soon to be published July 28th mid-year charts for Billboard Magazine.
Since the DPAC’s opening in 2008, 520 ticketed events have been presented drawing in more than one million attendees. For more information about the DPAC and how it was successfully developed, visit the Garfield Traub website.